Beta Spectroscopy System
Unlike alpha or internal conversion electron decays, the spectrum of beta particles following β decays is a continuous. Hence, in order to detect the energy of beta particles with energy greater than 200 KeV is used Fermi-Kurie plot or beta-particle absorption curve in aluminum. Also, the activity of β particles is determined by energy window method. Also, the beta spectroscopy system can determine the energy and activity of beta particles after chemical processing operations for the following applications.
Beta spectroscopy is a technique widely used in the following applications:
- the radiochemical analysis
- the assessment of environmental studies
- environmental radioactivity monitoring
- health physics personal monitoring
- assessment of nuclear installations, the determination of location and the study of its effect on the environment
- geological dating and mineralogy
- educational research applications
Since, time is very important in the rapid assessment of nuclear accidents, the Beta spectroscopy system can be used to control the contamination due to proper geometry, lead shielding with sufficient thickness, standard radioactive sources and energy window method.
Instruments used in This Set:
- Beta Source
- Bin Power Supply Model 8000
- High Voltage Power Supply Model 8100
- Preamplifier Model 3002
- Amplifier Model 3600
- Multichannel Analyzer (MCA) Model 4110
- Plastic scintillator detector
- Required Cables
All products are provided by Iman Gostar Raman Kish company.
Instruments Used In Spectroscopy System
1.BIN Power Supply Model 8000
The 8000 power supply is a 19 inch rack with a power supply of 160 watts, and all of its connectors have the standard voltage of a NIM bin.
- Input: 220 or 115 Vac
- Output impedance: <0.3 Ω at any frequency up to 100 KHZ for the dc output.
- Temperature coefficient: < 0.02%/°C, 0 to 60 °C
- Output ripple: < 3 mV
- Voltage adjustment: ±2% minimum range
- Power supply
2. High Voltage Power Supply Model 8100
The IAP 8100 high voltage power supply is used for biasing various detectors.
- Output polarity: Positive or negative
- Output voltage: 0 to 3 KV
- Output current: 0- 10 mA
- Output ripple: < 10 mV
- Power: 220 Vac
3. Spectroscopy Amplifier Model 3600
The 3600 spectroscopy amplifier used in nuclear spectroscopy amplifyies and shapes the signals coming from the preamplifier.
- Input: accepts positive or negative pulses from an associated preamplifier.
- Input impedance: ≈ 1 kΩ
- Connector: BNC
- Output: Semi-Gaussian shaped pulses, unipolar and bipolar
- Output: ± 5 mV
- Output impedance: 93 ohms
- Gain factor: 0.3 -3000
4. Multichannel Analyzer (MCA) Model 4110
The IAP model 4110 MCA is a high resolution Wilkinson type multichannel analyzer. The 4110 is a single NIM mode that is specifically designed for use in nuclear and x-ray spectroscopy and connects via a USB port to PC. Also, MCA is fully supported by DAS software.
- Accepts Signal: positive or bipolar pulses (positive portion leading)
- Input range: 25 mV to 10 V
- Input impedance: 1000 Ω.
- Rise time: 100 ns to 100 μs
- Fall Time: 200 ns to 100 μs
- Width: 0.5 μs minimum.
- Input couple: DC – coupled
- Connector: front panel BNC
Figure (1): Modules and components of the beta spectroscopy system
Long Term Warranty And After Sales Service
The warranty service includes the repair or service of the instrument and the free provision of services for replacing parts and repair wages for one year, but the warranty does not apply on the following cases:
- Transport damages, electrical fluctuations, fire or heat, contact or penetration of water and corrosive chemicals, intense dust, lightning, natural disasters.
- Instruments manipulated or repaired by persons other than the company’s representatives.
- Any kind of manipulation or damage on installed holograms on the instrument.
- Any displacement after installation without informing the company.
- The warranty does not cover consumables.
- After sales service is for 10 years with payment.